Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Jehovah's Witnesses? Really?

Yes, there are Jehovah's witnesses here in Rumoi. I was suspicious when I heard the doorbell ring this morning, but decided that even though I still had a towel on my wet hair, I should answer the door. It might be a package from the states! Unfortunately I made just enough noise getting to the door for the two ladies outside, who definitely did NOT have a delivery for me, to know that I was home and had to answer it. When I saw the little booklet in their hands, I knew. I invited them into the genkan anyway and told them I didn't speak Japanese. They opened up the little booklet and showed me a page with dozens of languages listed and I pointed to English. I started feeling really bad because these ladies seemed so nice and I didn't know how to very very politely tell them "thanks, but no thanks." They opened up to a page in English that had a very friendly greeting and my eyes flicked down the page until they landed on a few key words like God and Jesus. Suspicions confirmed. As kindly as I could, said "iie, arigatou," literally, "no thanks." Ok, no use lying, I also crossed my arms in an "X" position which is the gesture here for "no way," more out of habit than anything else. The ladies laughed at this and I laughed too. They bowed and nodded in acknowledgment, and also pointed to the towel on my head and laughed. I guess they thought it was fair game now. They smiled and said "Daijobu," which translates to something like "that's ok," and left, still bowing, smiling, and giggling.
I don't mean to offend anyone with strong religious beliefs, or any Jehovah's witnesses reading this. Most of our friends and family probably realize by now that Don and I don't subscribe to any organized religion. What I love about religion in Japan though, is that there is absolutely no intolerance of any kind. Many families comfortably practice both Buddhism and Shinto in their homes. Even the Christians here seem happy to do their thing and if you want to join them, great! If not, that's ok too! No one condemns anyone else to burning in hell and no one's religion is better than anyone else's. It basically comes down to just respecting everyone else and what they want to believe in. Whatever your religion, it should make you feel good and do good things. This seems like a much healthier take on religion than what I have experienced before. But again, it is hard to draw direct comparisons between a country as culturally homogenous as Japan and the US. Seriously though, the Watchtower might want to fly over some sweet elderly Japanese ladies to the US to help them out. It is really hard to tell them no!

No comments:

Post a Comment